Monday, December 18, 2017

Experiencing Simballay Festival 2017



             Simballay Festival is the annual festival of Nabunturan, Compostela Valley. It is usually celebrated on the month of December, showcasing the different bahay-kubos (huts) of the 28 barangays of the municipality. Simballay is a Mansaka word which means, “Togetherness, sharing and thanksgiving for a bountiful harvest.” The 23rd Simballay Festival was held on December 11-14, 2017. On its first day, after our last period, we headed to the venue where the festival was held. And I was surprised to discover so many new things.
             Firstly, I noticed that I easily get overwhelmed. It was such my pleasure, and I was very happy that the festival started right on my birthday, my 18th. But of course, the Simballay staff didn't know about that and it was just a pure coincidence, but still...nevermind.
             Secondly, I exaggerate a lot. When we reached the destination, it was not as magical as it is at night time (which I've seen in Facebook, by the way), but it was still a feast for the eyes. The people were busy taking pictures, eating, talking, public displaying of affection, shouting, selling, and etc. The street was so full, I was afraid it would explode because of its content. Thankfully, it didn't.
             Thirdly, picturesque views cannot only be seen in other places but even just here in our province. The venue was just several meters long but it was already a sight worthy to be adorned not just by Comvaleños but by tourists from different places as well.
             Lastly, Nabunturan is a home of talented and kind people. The festival was not just about the bahay-kubos, but it was also about the different skills that the townfolks have. I was overwhelmed by the people ushering us into their bahay-kubos. There were coconuts, vegetables, rootcrops, rice and so much more that prove the bountiful supply of nature. I was also amazed by the man painting right inside one of the bahay-kubos. I am a fan of paintings and seeing a painter in action was just like...nevermind. Several meters from him was another display of paintings. We were informed that it was made of coffee instead of the usual paint.
There were also sculptures; The Last Supper caught my eyes first. At night, there were chorale contest, Garbo ng Nabunturan Singing Contest, and so many more. I wasn't able to witness them, though. My parents wouldn't permit me to.
            Honestly, it was my first time to visit Simballay Festival for I am not a resident of Nabunturan. I am used to our own festival, Diwanag, which the Montevista people also celebrate every December. But it was a different, fun experience that every person would want to have. Simballay Festival, just like any other festivals, is everything we see in posters and posts in social media, but it is so much more. You'll definitely feel like...nevermind.

1 comment: